cat /dev/maxilys

A glance in the mind of a KDE/Linux developer to see how ideas turn into code.

2007-03-15

KDE: A new resident

Somebody moved in: Kassie's little sister. She's almost a twin although younger and smaller. It was a very quick move. There was nothing then I saw some light at dusk in the upper levels of the KMenu tower. She was in. Like the average photomaniac, I took a picture.

[image]


In clear, I selected some organs from Kassie the Applet and cloned them. I implanted them appropriately on a skeleton of KPanelAppMenu around which I wrapped a nice looking and also cloned skin. I injected some electricity stolen from the clouds into the dead body and all the neighbors were able to hear my devilish laughter... several times in a row. ;-)

It just took some time to make the menu update itself at the right moment. It even takes more time when you try something, build it, restart Kicker... but forget in between to install what you just built so that you don't see that you already achieved your goal. Whatever. It took no more than one hour to go from an empty shell of KPanelAppMenu and the sources of Kassie the Applet to a perfectly working Kassie the (K)Menu Extension --and that includes the tuning of the makefiles to handle the new branch in the build tree.

Kassie being Kassie, you get exactly the same menu when you click on the icon of the applet or on the entry of the menu extension (of which I must change the label by the way). The only difference is that the menu extension is totally devoid of anything related to drag and drop.

The extensive testings have already been done. I guess all I've left is to do the packaging...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home