cat /dev/maxilys

A glance in the mind of a KDE/Linux developer to see how ideas turn into code.

2007-03-07

KDE: On my TODO list

Just before packaging Kassie for its release, I added a TODO file in its build tree, with only 2 lines: "Add the possibility to create a new session with the dropped files" and "Add the possibility to drop files on a non-running session". These were just two ideas that suddenly popped in my head. And I postponed the release...

The second idea is rather complicate. The only solution I've found is impractical, I prefer to let the idea being chewed by a background process of my mind. There may be an indirect way to obtain the desired result but some more "chewing" is required. I removed the idea from the TODO list, it's not mandatory but a path to explore for a future version... Without mentioning that I'd have to build a dialog with 4 buttons (KDE doesn't provide any in its standard dialogs) and that there'd be no reason left to treat so differently the running sessions from the non-running ones. In other words: a major re-writing!

The first idea was an easier one. All the pieces were already in Kassie. I knew how to ask for a new session name, how to start one, and how to build a list of files for Kate. All I had to do was to put the puzzle together once I had discovered that Kate was capable of creating a new named session from a list of files.

From my point of view, this is due to a bug in Kate. When you ask on its command line to open a session and add a list of files behind this option, what makes sense is that it opens the files of the session and add the new ones to it. No?

Apparently not. In this case, Kate replaces the files of the session with the ones on the command line. Not what I expected but that was what I needed to create a new named but non-empty session. Any way, now, it's done. Kassie allows you to create a session from a list of dropped files. This is a shortcut so that you don't have to explicitly save the session to give it a name.

Oh yeah! Since I added this new feature, it made sense to be able to use it even if no Kate is actually running so, now, the popup menu of the "Drop Manager" always appears when you drop files on Kassie's icon. Hey, you can't be an advanced session selector if you don't put the sessions without name at least one click away from the user. ;-)

While I was as it, I filled the little holes in which the user could fall when he types in a session name.

Tell me, what's the difference in between "This" and " This "? If you can't see it, I assure you that a program will know it. So I let Kassie remove any superfluous white space so that it doesn't accept a white space as session name --the way Kate does-- and so that you won't find yourself wondering why two sessions have the same name but one is misaligned or misplaced.

Finally, there's nothing left on my TODO list. It's time to do some packaging and "snapshooting" before I get new ideas! ;-)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home