cat /dev/maxilys

A glance in the mind of a KDE/Linux developer to see how ideas turn into code.

2007-02-13

KDE: Octember, the 3rd

A lot of people --including me-- don't care about any thing if there isn't a least a snapshot. So, here are my snapshots of the Desktop Text Configuration module, version 0.3.

Note that I simplified a lot of things. Especially, no more decimal values and much less tickmarks. That's question of a usability. Over-precise decimal values are useless when you can't see the difference with a naked eye. And when you provide a slider to enter a vague value (less/more or min/max), there's no need to have a hundred of tickmarks. I applied my "rule of the quarters": Zero, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, maximum. The rest are details.

Now, let's go with the images! First, the improved dialog.



Next, the presets in action. I did nothing but select an (oversized) font and the colors. The presets did the rest.

[Preset: Solid Shadow]


[Preset: Fuzzy Shadow]


[Preset: Solid Halo]


[Preset: Fuzzy halo]


And if you wonder what "Octember" is, that's the name of a font I found on my harddisk while browsing for fonts to do my snapshots. I used respectively "Sandoval", "Almonte Woodgrain", "BoyzRGross" and "OctemberScript" which is now on my desktop with a customized fuzzy halo.

Don't ask where I found the fonts, I don't know. All I remember is that I googled for free fonts and that the site was white and red. That doesn't help much...

Now, run to KDE-Apps, I haven't packaged the new version of the module yet but it should appear very soon.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 13 February, 2007 21:05, Blogger Smarter said...

http://dafont.com seems to match your description ;)

 
At 13 February, 2007 23:38, Blogger Maxilys said...

Exactly! Thank you. I put it in my bookmarks so I won't forget again...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home