cat /dev/maxilys

A glance in the mind of a KDE/Linux developer to see how ideas turn into code.

2007-02-12

KDE: One step into the light

Monday morning... already. I'm done. My desktop text configuration module is working.

Update: The Desktop Text Configuration module is already available from KDE-Apps.

As you can see herebelow, it has few left in common with what the old module was. (I oversized the desktop font for a better snapshot.)



I don't want to criticize the code of the previous author but let's say in my flourish way that I ripped off some organic guts and replace them with straight copper pipes. ;-) Especially, the old module sometimes cut a part of the shadow. Mine copes with any size of text, even if it is wider than the preview area. That's useless because the text has to be really huge but, at least, I'm sure to have a valid preview for the "normal" cases.

Now, the last thing to do before the release is to rename pretty much everything --the files and the classes-- to make this module really mine... or, rather, because "textshadowedit" isn't an appropriate name any more.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 12 February, 2007 04:43, Blogger Vladislav said...

First off, thank you for your fine work! I'm sure this will be lots of fun for plenty of people. Do you think that this may be included in future KDE releases? If so, I think the simplicity and usability could be improved. It seems like putting in a decay algorithm may be too much. Also, what does "Factor" do? Is it necessary? What about "lines of text"? Would anyone want an icon to only have text on one line? Is it even reasonable to have that option?

If this is just an optional extra module and isn't based for inclusion in KDE, than none of the above applies because the more, the merrier :)

Hope my comments are useful, and thanks again for the work you've put in!

Vladislav

 
At 12 February, 2007 08:13, Blogger peppelorum said...

Nice one! =) Seems like an improvment over previous dialogs.

On question though, is it possible to get a behavior that fulfills https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109879 ? Would be great from my point of view=)

 
At 12 February, 2007 12:11, Blogger Maxilys said...

@Vladislav: No, it's not meant to be included in the "official" KDE, although I think it's the missing page of the desktop configuration module. Any way, the usability can always be improved any way. For example, the "Factor" is in fact the "Decay Factor" --I just realized!-- so it's useful. I'll re-arrange this to make things clearer. And yes, someone may want icons to have only one line of text. I do. I only have a few desktop icons with simple names like "Trashcan" or "CD-Writer". One line is enough. For me, a desktop isn't a dumpster, you have the backyard of your $HOME for this. ;-)

@peppelorum: The alignment of the icons is hard-coded in KDesktop. There are no option to change this behavior and no module can patch KDE on-the-fly. Besides, even if there where an option available, it would be outside of the scope of my tiny module that isn't meant to replace the whole desktop configuration module... yet. ;-)

 
At 12 February, 2007 12:42, Blogger jospoortvliet said...

It might not be your intention to get this in KDE 3.5.7 or something, but why not? If it gets some testing (and I think it will), it can. It won't have to be ported to KDE 4 anyway (I think) as KDE 4 won't have Kdesktop...

 
At 12 February, 2007 14:03, Blogger Maxilys said...

I won't say no to an inclusion into KDE. But first, I need to change this mysterious "Factor" label into something meaningful or the Usability Team is going to skin me alive. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home