cat /dev/maxilys

A glance in the mind of a KDE/Linux developer to see how ideas turn into code.

2006-03-03

KDE: Change of path

That's it! Frustration is over. I cried everywhere but nobody knows anything about styles. The Trolls at Trolltech certainly know more than the average but I'm not ready to pay for it. I don't develop styles for a living. Maybe I'll file a bug report because I've got the persistant impression I stumbled on a bug: Qt has some difficulties to recognize its children in the crowd of a QToolBox. When you point a finger and ask it "Who's there?", it has a tendency to give random answers. :-) (I like the way I phrased my sentence.)

And if Qt can't easily answer to the question "Who's there?", well, it's also difficult to achieve a mouseover effect.

But I said "Frustration is over"! Oh yeah! I was tired to fight against Qt and to get no answer to my questions so I took a different road. There was no reason why the toolbox tabs should resemble "regular" tabs. So I gave them a totally different look. It's hard to explain with words, so see for yourself. (It's the left part of KDevDesigner.) It's a kind of mix in between the "regular" tabs and a listbox like the one in Kontrol Center.

The work I did on these widgets is obvious. I'm satisfied. ;-) Well, a mouseover effect would really satisfy me but in the mean time, I'm as satisfied as I can be.

There are still a few widgets deep in KDE that I must take care of but I'm decided to make an announcement on KDE-Look. (Please somebody, remind me that I have to remove all those unnecessary options from the config dialog.) ;-) Now, I have to decide which colorscheme will be my ambassador. Probably Mare Serenitatis which looks like to be silver and gold... And Outer Space for the dark colorscheme lovers! I'd like to show all of them, as well as all the nice widgets but that's just impossible unless I want to link tons of snapshots to my announcement. (Maybe in a few years, when Internet will be as fast as a harddisk.) ;-)

Time to go and make some snapshots of Konqueror with Serenity style...

2 Comments:

At 05 March, 2006 02:08, Blogger jospoortvliet said...

hey man you're doing cool stuff ;-)

i read your blogs, and i wonder about the QToolBox stuff - why don't you file a bug/wish if you can for a better behaviour at Trolltech? maybe write and send in a patch... aren't they open for such stuff?

 
At 08 March, 2006 02:10, Blogger Maxilys said...

Thank you.

As for the bug/wish to Trolltech, filing in a bug report is possible. I'm thinking about it but a patch is way beyond my capabilities. This problem is nested deep into Qt engine. I can only propose a patch to make it easier for me to write my style. ;-) I'm not sure they will even read it... but I'll work on it after the --at last!-- first release of my style.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home