cat /dev/maxilys

A glance in the mind of a KDE/Linux developer to see how ideas turn into code.

2006-02-08

KDE 3.5.1: Smelly fish

First, I need to withdraw a part of what I said yesterday. There is no missing packet amongst the RPMs. Kdebase3-khotkeys just doesn't exist anymore, it has been integrated into kdebase3. I'm out of the dependency hell. ;-)

So KDE 3.5.1 is installed. I don't know exactly what bugs have been fixed, apparently none that I encountered. Especially, the problem that occurs when you want to add a color to the customs colors hasn't disappeared. The problem with the icons and the auto-hide panels isn't gone either. But, on the other hand, I think I noticed a sensible increase in the boot speed. At least, that's a good thing.

The new problem in this version is that aMule doesn't work anymore. At least, it doesn't support the GTK-Qt engine anymore; it explodes when the Qt style is activated. Once the Qt style deactivated, no problem... except when I launch it from my docker-like panel. On the other hand, just because I live in the Twilight Computer Zone, the GiMP always adopts the Qt style whether it's activate or not.

I reserve my judgement until I restart my computer, just to be sure that there isn't some smelly fish left in the bottom of the barrel despite the fact that I've restarted the X-Server three times already. (To be totally honest, I must write that the idea of downgrading back to 3.5.0 crossed my mind. There weren't very obvious bugs that needed to be absolutely fixed and the ones that actually bothered me aren't fixed. So...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home